Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

Dark Skies & A Canon EOS 700D

So my first play with the Canon 700d had enabled me to get an image of the milky way but I wanted more so I recently headed out to Harperrig Reservoir which is reasonably dark and decided to take a few widefield images.

My first image was taken with my Samyang 14mm F2.8 Lens at ISO 3200 with the lens stopped down a few notches to try and reduce the orange background glow I was getting. It is basically just an extremely widefield shot of the Orion/Taurus region.



It is a nice enough image although in hindsight I should probably have lowered the ISO rather than stopping down the lens as I believe this would have reduced the noise a bit more. Ah well, this is all just one big learning experience anyway. Either way there is a lot here that I can play with in the future and I look forward to taking it to a proper dark site.

Next up is an image of Orion taken with my Olympus 50mm F1.8 Lens at ISO 3200 and with it  stopped down to F4. I was hoping that stopping it down would reduce both the coma and purple fringing I have noticed with this lens.


I love that I managed to pick up the Orion Nebula (Messier 42) although I am disappointed I managed to frame it so I didn't get the fully body of Orion but there will always be another time. There was still a little bit of purple fringing even at F4 but this was easy enough to remove with Photoshop. I decided to crop and enlarge the Orion Nebula element of the image because I love it!


My final target with the Pleiades (Messier 45) which is an Open Cluster in the constellation of Taurus. I once again used the Olympus 50mm F1.8 Lens at ISO 3200 with it  stopped down to F4.


To be honest, it is a bit small in the 50mm Lens but I did manage to pull out a slight amount of nebulosity in the image which I wasn't actually expecting. If you can't see the nebulosity that easily then hopefully the cropped and enlarged image below will highlight it better.



Overall I quite happy with all these images, especially as I am limited to a fixed tripod at the moment for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment