Pages

Sunday 4 January 2015

Comet Lovejoy C/2014 Q2 & The Moon

So Christmas has just passed but my birthday is in January so when my parents offered to get me an early birthday presnet I jumped at the chance of getting another Lens for my DSLR. The lens I got was a Canon 55-250mm STM lens which isn't going to be that useful with a fixed tripod due to the very limited exposure times I can use before star trailing occurs.


However in a moment of madness I decided to see if I could use it to capture Comet Lovejoy C/2014 Q2 which is currently quite low on the horizon. Amazingly with the lens set to 200mm I was able to pick it up at ISO 3200 with 2 second exposures. So I decided to stack 15 images together to produce a photograph of the comet which you can see below.


I love how the comet appears as a green hazy object, quite clearly distinct from the surrounding stars. The tail is fair to meagre for me to pick up, especially with the comet being so low in the horizon and with the moon being around. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will try it again and see what I can accomplish.

In addition this lens is always going to be useful for taking Moon images which I have already used it for as can be seen below.



No comments:

Post a Comment