Pages

Saturday 26 September 2015

Widefield Imaging with an Equatorial Mount

Since I bought my HEQ5 I have been waiting for the chance to try it out with my DSLR and so one clear night in early September I decided to finally test it out. I decided just to use my camera directly mounted with a standard 55-250mm Lens and aimed it at two of my favourites galaxies to look at, Messier 81 & 82.

The image below is a stack of 15 x 120 second exposures which I was pretty chuffed with considering it was the first time I was properly testing my Polar Alignment skills and I didn't have any guidecam.


I can actually make out two additional galaxies in the image, NGC 2976 & NGC 3077 although they are pretty much just small fuzzy patches. In order to show off the galaxies a bit more I cropped the image which is shown below.


A bit noisy but not unexpected at that level of crop, overall I am pretty happy with what I have achieved here and look forward to trying the DSRL with my 127 Mak next.

No comments:

Post a Comment