Pages

Sunday 8 February 2015

Building my own DSLR Solar Filter

So, with a partial solar eclipse (>90%) due here in West Lothian on the 20th March 2015 I decided that I wanted to see and image it if I could.

Seeing it was going to be easy as there are lots of cheapish eclipse glasses out there. I ended up picking up a pair of Baader Solar Eclipse Observing Glasses which are now sitting in my Astronomy cupboard. I have already tested them and they worked wonderfully although I wasn't able to make out any sunspots but I suspect they would need to be rather large for me to properly notice them.


However, imaging it was a different story entirely as there doesn't appear to be any official DSLR filters made to do this. I therefore had to get all DIY which filled me with dread but luckily there was a guide I found on Astronomy Log. So my first job was to pick up a cheap flower shaped lens hood from ebay which had the 58mm thread required for my Canon 55-250mm Lens.


Then I cut out two lovely rings from some left over cereal box which fit perfectly inside the lens hood. I was lucky that a glass I found in my cupboard fit perfectly into the lens hood which ensure I could use it to draw a template in the cardboard.


Next on this rather exciting building mission was some Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0 which was the most expensive part of the entire operation. I cut off some of the film so that it was the right size for the rings I had made and then came the tricky part. I placed squares of double sided tape around the cardboard rings and dropped one on them onto the solar film. I then stuck the other cardboard ring on the other side of it to create a lovely basic filter.


The final task was to use more double sided tape to stick the ring onto the hood.


All in all a relatively easy job and I have plenty of Solar Film available to create a filter for my telescope as well if I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment