Pages

Sunday 7 September 2014

The Lunar 100 - Three More Off the List

So it has been a fair bit since I last tried to explore the Lunar 100 but last night I decided to once again continue my journey exploring the Moon's surface. So I fished out my check-list and decided on three targets from the list with the first of these being L6 - Tycho which is a rather prominent and well known crater in the Southern lunar highlands.

Tycho is in a pretty busy section of the moon with quite a large amount of craters surrounding it, some of which were formed by ejecta from Tycho itself. One thing I really like when looking at the Moon are the ray systems and Tycho has a very distinctive ray system so I spent a fair amount of time gazing over it. The image I took which is shown below doesn't show off the ray system as much as I would have liked but it is still visible to some extent.


After Tycho I decided to head south to L9 - Clavius which is one of the largest crater formations on the Moon. I loved looking at this crater, mainly because it contains a lovely semi-circular arc of smaller craters on its floor which seem to line up in size order with the largest on the Southern rim being called Rutherfurd. If you look at the image below you will notice a 2nd crater sitting on the rim which is called Porter.



My final stop of the night was at L13 - Gassendi which is a large crater sitting on the Northern edge of Mare Humorum ("Sea of Moisture"). The crater  filled with lava during the formation of the Mare but the outer rim of Gassendi is still visible as a circular shape. A smaller crater known as Gassendi A intrudes into the northern rim which gives the crater formation the appearance of an engagement ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment